If you have read the previous post, you will know that we have seen a LOT of wildlife on our way through Colorado and Utah – elk, mule deer and pronghorns.

We love seeing deer and always stop to get pictures, but we like them best at a distance.

In the Morning on September 19th we were coming down from Abajo Mountains towards Monticello. We had camped and as we got up in the morning, there was 2 deer right outside our tent. Nice!

As we hit the road, we took it easy. The night before we had seen more than 100 deer on the same road, so no reason to race here.

Like riding through a zoo.

These pictures are all taken within half an hour, the evening before. We must have seen hundreds.































Suddenly there was a deer right next to me in the side of the road. I slowed down. Less than a second later, there was another deer right in front of me. I hit the breaks as hard as I could and heard the rubber squeaking against the pavement. The deer took of and I hardly hit it, but then I was hit from behind.

Lars was also looking for deer, when he registered my break lights.  But it was to late. In my attempt to avoid the deer I got over in his lane. He couldn’t avoid me and his left front hit right into my right rear. I went down on my right side, shoulder first and he went down on the left and we both took a slide on the asphalt.

I took a big hit to my head and right shoulder, but was able to get up right away. Lars was laying on his back with his hands against his chest, obviously in a lot of pain.

Two bikes on the ground, scattered broken parts, luggage all over and cooler liquid and petrol was leaking from the bikes. – Not a pretty sight.

After a while Lars got on his feet but was not able to help me raise the bikes.

A German couple in an RV was coming down the same road and stopped to help us. We got the bikes up and to the side of the road.

Lars’ bike had a big dent into the cooler and tank and could not be ridden out of there. Plastic from the fearing and the front fender was scattered all over the road. The German couple gave me a lift to the visitor center in Monticello where I called road service and the insurance.

I felt horrible leaving Lars, but also felt I had to take control of the situation, since he was hurting so bad. So I tried to stay cool, but as I arrived to the visitor center, I just broke down and cried. My immediate reaction might have been “All right we are both relatively OK, no one’s killed, so no big deal”. But your system gets pretty shaken up, when you take a slide on the asphalt and see your loved one lie in pain on the ground.

I called the insurance. They were nice, but couldn’t get hold of the person who would handle the claim and order the tow truck. “They will call you back before 5 pm”! What kind of road service office calls you back before 5 pm?? I wasn’t too happy about that answer and expressed my dissatisfaction with this kind of service.

Meanwhile another driver had called the police and informed them of the accident. Deputy Jamin Bradford came by the visitor center and talked to me and then headed up to Lars. I got hold of a local tow company. They were super fantastic and went up to Lars immediately.

At the place of the accident, they put Lars’ KLR on the tow truck. The Suzuki could still drive, so Lars rode it behind the tow truck.

– When the SECOND deer hit him!!

Just when he passed a cattle guard, a deer came out from the side. It plumped into the cattle guard and therefore just bumped into Lars’ leg!!! Surely that guard saved him. Had it not been there, the deer would have gone out in front of the bike. – This was just too much action for one morning.

Down at Monticello, we waited at the tow truck garage for the insurance company to call us back. When they finally did, we agreed to have the bikes towed to Moab to a place called “Moab Powersports”. We knew this store from our recent visit in the town and were pleased with that choice.

Deputy Jamin Bradford was really nice and helped us the best he could.

Bunny didn’t like the stunt too much either.

At 4.30 pm we finally arrived at the Powersports shop. We dropped Lars and the bikes and all our luggage and helmets and gear off at the ramp to the shop. (The shop was closed on Mondays) The tow truck driver (George) was an awesome guy, and despite the fact that he was super busy that day and other cars were waiting for him, he took me to the airport, where the insurance company had made a reservation for a rental car.

He drove me 35 km North of Moab to the airport and dropped me off there. Now Moab is not a big town and as soon as you are out of town, there’s NOTHING! The airport is a small structures and obviously not a busy place. I was dropped off and when I got to the shed, that had a sign saying “Terminal” on it and pulled the door, I realized that it was closed! Damn! Here I was, way out of town in the dessert with no ride, and a hurt boyfriend waiting for me outside a shop in Moab.

So what does a wise woman do? I started banging doors, walking around the buildings, seeing if any employees were still there. After a while I saw a guy coming out of a hangar, and luckily he was heading in my direction. When he came closer, I bluntly asked if he was going to Moab and if I could get a ride, since I was stuck. He agreed and drove me back to Moab Powerports where Lars was waiting.

We were both tired and Lars was in pain, so we decided to get a room in the motel just on the other side of the street from the repair shop.

From here on, it has been hospital visit, endless talks with the insurance, parts ordering, mending gear and so on. By the time the insurance adjuster came and looked at the bikes a whole week had gone by. In all fairness I have to say, that when he got there, he was extremely efficient and very fair.

On the good side we are in Moab. If you have to get stuck anywhere, this is the place. We are both well, but you don’t wanna give Lars the big bear hug right now. Angie & Paul were still in town and were a great support. Moab Powersport proved to live up to their reputation. They are serious, sympathetic and trustworthy. The kind of mechanic you dream about. So parts are on their way, and if we are lucky, we’ll be out of here by Saturday.

Lessons learned: Wearing safety gear works! Slowing down works! In the future we will keep more distance to each other. Insurance companies will sell you insurance in half an hour – it will take quite a bit longer to get their help.









Comments are closed.

12 Responses

  1. Henriette says:

    Thanks Ron. Yes, we are really happy about being on the road again. Mexico is fantastic.
    See you got a lot of snow in Colorado! Crazy!

  2. Ron Salerno says:

    Wow you two! I completely missed this part of your posts! I’m glad you are both Ok…wondered why you were still hanging around in Moab for so long…glad you are back on the road!

  3. I am glad to know you are back on the road to finish your epic trip. Good luck and if you have time, send me a picture of Macu Piccu!!

    Jr’s Desert Inn – Moab

  4. larshoejberg says:

    Hej Grethe
    Tak for hilsenen – vi er glade for at I nyder vores indlæg.
    Det skal jo nok gå alt sammen – et par skræmer hist og her er der jo ikke nogen der for alvor har taget skade af. Jeg må dog indrømme at de bøjede ribben har været noget af en prøvelse.
    Forhåbentligt er MC’erne klar imorgen, så vi kan komme videre. De knap 3 uger her i Moab kommer imidlertid til at betyde at vi må ændre planer, idet vi er nødt til at fortsætte mod syd, hvis vi skal nå til Chile i starten af det nye år. Planen er således at vi fortsætter sydpå gennem Arizona, for at krydse grænsen til Mexico i løbet af de næste 4-5 dage.
    Så må vi tage sydvest Utah og Nevada en anden god gang.
    Hils resten af familien. KH. Lars

  5. Grethe says:

    Kære Henriette og Lars,
    Sikken historie. Vi tænker meget på jer og ønsker jer fortsat rigtig god bedring. I klarer både sødt og surt så flot. Vi læser med stor fornøjelse om alle jeres fantastiske oplevelser og nyder de smukke og betagende billeder. Vi håber, I begge snart bliver klar til igen af indtage “cyklerne” og ønsker jer fortsat rigtig god fornøjelse på jeres videre færd.
    Alt vel både hos Van og Claus og her på det grønne bjerg. Claus rejser til USA’s østkyst om 14 dage, men der er jo langt over til jer.
    Hav det godt I to. Kærligste tanker og knus Grethe

  6. Melinda Jordan says:

    I’m so sorry to read this! I’m glad you are mending but so sorry it happened at all. Any deer strike you walk away from is a good one but to have lightning strike twice is just awful.

    I hope you are resting up and getting your adventure mojo rejuvenated. Maybe you two should clock a little time on a nice, boring Interstate …. nah, maybe not! : )

    Hugs from Colorado — Melinda

  7. larshoejberg says:

    Hi Henry
    Thx. a lot.
    Well, the bikes took quite a beating – nothing that can’t be fixed though. I got a sore hand and a couple of bruised ribs. The ribs are killing me, but I hope it’ll get better in a couple of weeks. If everything goes according to plan, we should be back on the road in a few days. Meanwhile we use the time to recover and prepare the entry into Mexico and Central America.
    Stay tuned 🙂

  8. Henry Cisneros says:

    Was just catching up on your trip and read of your accident. Was sorry to hear of it and wish you both speedy recoveries. My best wishes and prayers for you.

  9. Henriette says:

    @ Anders.
    Haha! Ved ikke hvor overskudsagtigt det er! Bare retro! 🙂
    Dejligt at høre at der er gang i Julie. Det bliver vildt at se hende, når vi kommer tilbage. Kan I ikke sende nogle billeder?
    Håer I alle tre har det godt og har nydt sommeren.
    Mange knus fra os begge.

  10. Henriette says:

    @Karin. Thanks a lot. I’m really glad to see that you are reading our travel blog. Yes, we are glad to be OK as well. Right now we both feel like the air was let out of our balloons, but I’m sure the travel energy will be back, when we get on the road again.
    I don’t know if life is better on the road than back home. We meet a lot of super nice people, but you only get to know them superficial and quickly say goodbye again. I miss family and friends back home. I really like that we are outside most of the time and that life is a bit more simple. Close, makeup, brands etc. is less important. We have a lot of time to think – and that’s nice. The last week we spend at a motel, and we have been watching a lot of TV. I can feel how that pushes my own thoughts in the background. It’s easy to be distracted in the modern world. You don’t hear your own thoughts when there’s too many things going on. Suddenly it’s important to watch a movie that you have seen before, or see the ending of an animal program on Discovery. I think that all those inputs we get from TV, computers, mobile, cinema, theater, newspapers and much more stresses us, simply because it does not leaves enough time and quiet for your own thoughts. When you sit at a campfire every night, there’s sooo much space for thoughts.
    Sometimes after thinking about the same thing a whole day on the bike, I get so full with my own thoughts, that I feel done with that thought or emotion. I’ve had weeks in a row where I was thinking about the history of the Indians. I read books about it, thought about it a lot and was almost depressed about the thought of how human beings will strangle anything on this earth (cultures, nature, animals, people) if there’s a chance of financial gain. But I liked having all that time to think about a single subject. I have never had that before.
    It also leaves time to think about your own personality and behavioral patterns. And to me that’s hard. Probably healthy, but hard. I have not come to the part of changing patterns, only discovering them and I don’t know if I’ll ever get there.
    Traveling on a motorcycle and camping is not very comfortable. If it rains, you get very wet, if it’s cold, you get very cold, you have limited space, so packing is a big part of this life. Knowing where to put stuff and foreseeing what’s gonna happen that day. I’ve been freezing my hands off some days, because my winter gloves were in the bottom of my bag, and I just couldn’t be bothered getting everything out to get them. But on the good side it’s so much more exiting than riding a car. I can’t wait to get on the bike again.
    How are you doing? Still in Malmö? Where is Anna now? Did she settle down on Stockholm?
    Hugs. Henriette

  11. Stina Lindström says:

    Hm. Just yesterday I wrote “safe trip” – shouldn’t have done that (and I’m in the insurance business so I should’ve known!